Saturday, June 15, 2024

Prizes

Janet Frame was a writer with an interesting life. She spent some of her life in mental institutions. Her writing saved her life because it got her out of a lobotomy. This is a collection of her short stories. The beginning short stories are good but the stories I like the best are the ones that make up The Reservoir . I have aspirations for writing so to me "The Triumph of Poetry" was a horror story. I don't know if I liked it. I liked "The Teacup", the story of a girl fondling over a man that her roommate is really dating. Some of the stories deal with madness such as in "How can I get in touch with Persia?" when a man can't accept his mother's death. The later stories are more depressing as we find Janet Frame thinking about death which only makes sense since she was getting older. There's a sense of humor here especially "A Relative of the Famous". I thought Wilfred was funny. I recommend this although I heard that Janet Frame's short stories weren't what she was best at.

No comments:

Post a Comment